Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Progress: Slow but sure

This garden is so big, I am so small, and progress has been slow and sometimes slightly discouraging. Nevertheless, the season is picking up and so is the pace of our work. Sure, the weeds are growing faster by the day, and I daresay multiplying as well, but so are the flower buds and vegetable seedlings. I find great joy in that.

I am so lucky to have the help of two exceptional WWOOFers, Maria, an American ex-pat who is now living and working in France in her own fight for the future of food, and Zoe, from Valencia, who is on school holiday from her post teaching secondary school Spanish in nearby Friville. Maria demonstrates what I consider to be some of the best of American characteristics; she is confident, ambitious, creative, active, capable, open, and goal-oriented. In her former life she was a successful businesswoman; her drive and encouragement are just what we needed! I consider her my "project manager," a role she fills with aplomb. Zoe is intelligent and thoughtful, and besides, a very willing and capable worker. She is proving to be a very valuable assistant. I appreciate her very much. The help and support from them both encourages me in my project.

NB These pictures need to be re-ordered, but I'm about to leave on a week's vacation, and I wanted to get them up before I leave. So I will put them in a more logical, interesting order when I get back!


Potager planning

Out of the hail

Maria's car (shipped from USA!)

Zoe's car

This view catches my eye every day

Aucuba echoes the mustard fields beyond

Our path to the dovecote!

Seed sowing


Can't resist photographing the tulips

Looking forward to strawberries

Views beyond

Slow progress in the potager

Lemon sorrel and columbine

Lovage

Rhubarb

Interesting stump

Pascal in the buttercups
Young spinach

Lilacs!

Horse chestnut!

The lilac walk is growing weedy, but I love the buttercup blossoms




Add caption




Into the garden

Tree peony

Grape vines

No comments:

Post a Comment